All of our products are handmade small batches to ensure freshness, consistency, and excellence.
Our products are not made to sit on store shelves for years and years. Natural preservatives within our products are nowhere near as potent as the synthetic preservatives used in commercial products to prolong shelf-life.
Our products are remade every few weeks, therefore, none are very old when they are sold. Our products should be opened within 6 months of purchase.
Once opened, all skin care products become exposed to dirt and microorganisms (bacteria, yeasts, and molds) that are found in the air and on the skin.
As soon as you open and begin to use any product, simply the way in which you use it will affect its lifespan.
We use the PAO (period-after-opening) symbol on our products. The POA symbol is a standard symbol that identifies the useful lifetime of a skin care product after it has been opened for the first time.
The POA symbol is an open jar with a written number and the letter "M" for the word "months."
A product with a "6M" would mean that it is good for 6 months after opening.
Tip: write the date you open a product for the first time on its label so you can keep track of the period after opening.
This POA number represents our best suggestion. There are many factors that can affect the lifespan of a product. If a product is discolored, has an unpleasant smell or looks odd, the product should not be used and should be discarded.
- Each time you place your warm fingers into a jar, you melt some of the butter which can change the consistency of the product.
- Fingers also introduce bacteria and other contaminants into the product.
- If a product has not been stored properly, for example, if the lid has been left off for long periods of time, the product may ‘go off’ before the period after opening has passed.
- As scented products age, some of the natural essential oil scent may be lost. Pure essential oils just do not have the staying power of synthetic fragrance oils.
- Over time, natural colors may also fade.